The Secret To Getting Fit & Fabulous, 5 Ways to Release Those Pounds!
About 13 years ago I was sitting on the pew at my church for a women's day meeting. That day, we had a lady speaker, who looked to be in her mid-50's. She was a dynamic speaker, but what I noticed first about her was her toned arms and the incredible shape she was in. She obviously worked out! I started thinking to myself, "I want to look just like her when I grow up." At that time I was in my 20's. Well, after the conference was over, so was the image of her in my head. I did nothing to change. I was totally inspired by her while I was in her presence, but after the conference I didn't think much about her anymore.
Fast forward about nine years later, and- my father was diagnosed with diabetes. When I went to visit him in the hospital I remember him saying to me, "Angel, watch all those sodas and fruit drinks you consume, they are filled with so much sugar." Well, I immediately stopped buying sodas, and started consuming a lot of water and the right juices in the right amount. However, all I did was change what I was drinking and I still didn't pay much attention to the food I was feeding myself and my family. A few weeks after that, I had my regular yearly doctor visit. I told the doctor about my dad's diagnosis and he looked at me and said, "Angel, you are right around the corner from that being your story." I was almost 200 lbs... and I'm 5'5! He sent me to get blood work done and my numbers came back high. At this point I was absolutely petrified! I immediately got on the phone with my colleague and friend, Lorena Lues. I told her what was going on, and she took me through a quick breathing exercise to calm me down. She assured me not to panic over the "numbers" since this was something she was very familiar with and had been dealing with since she was 18 years old. Later on we found out that because I had a virus a few days before I had my doctor's appointment, my body was still fighting that off and I (thankfully) did not have diabetes. Needless to say, the speaker at my church planted the seed of health and looking great in me, but after the scare at the doctor's office, I was catapulted into action. We don't have to wait until we get "bad news" to make a change in our life. We can start right now! Right here! Today!
Here are the steps I took to making a LIFE STYLE change, not a diet!
1. Make a decision- Decide you want to change the way you feel and look. What's driving you to want this change in your life? What difference will this make for you?
2. Create a life plan, not just a 30 day weight loss goal. Make eating healthier your life plan and stick to it.
3. Get to know what you're putting in your body. Realize your body is your temple. Different foods do different things for your body. Educate yourself. Here is Lorena and I at my grocery store tour. You can also connect with her here. http://www.utopia-wellness.com/homef.html
4. Exercise in a way that you LOVE. If the gym doesn't turn you on but riding a bike or ice skating does, schedule time every week to do those things. I started with 10 minutes a day then built it up to 20-30 minutes a day of getting my heart pumping and sweat rolling.
5. Start getting rid of your old clothes that will soon no longer fit you, now! This is what I call a faith move. In order to get what you want you must create the room in your life to receive it. You don't have to get rid of everything all at once- just a few rarely used items that someone else can have the pleasure of owning.
OK, so the title of this is "The Secret To Getting Fit & Fabulous" So here's the "secret"- what I like to call my "secret weapon"...are you ready for this? HAVE A FIT & FAB FRIEND! Yes, who you surround yourself with is EVERYTHING. If the only people you surround yourself with are out of shape and being IN shape is not a priority to them, the chances of you accomplishing your goals are slim-to-none! Here is a photo of my FIT & FAB FRIEND!
And, by the way...she's 56 years young!!!
25 Habits To Get FIT & FABULOUS!