One of the reasons I had to close my boutique years ago was due to not being organized. Many people today compliment me on how organized I like to keep my home, but it hasn't always been this way. My office at the boutique was a disorganized MESS! I had papers and contracts from vendors that I did business with scattered all over the place. Along with bills, receipts and orders from customers. It was a mess, and as a consequence I payed my bills, and vendors late. At the time I was so upset that I had to make that decision to close my store, but I am so glad I did now! Being organized saves you time, money and stress. Here are some easy ways to created a home office that will set you up for a successful business! Even if you don't own a business you are the CEO of your life, so create a home office! ;)
1. Choose a space in your home where you want your home office to be. If you have a small space don't let that stop you, you can create a home office in a small space too. There are many things out on the market today that will help you create exactly what you need for your space to be a success.
2. Create your office. Add your office tools and supplies. Things like, desk, table, chair, file cabinet, PC or laptop, printer, fax, stapler, hole puncher, envelopes, copy paper, desk organizer, sewing machine, manikins and whatever tools you need to perform your business.
3. Hang your business mission statement somewhere visible. Why is this business important to you? Why did you start it? Who are you serving with your products, books, programs or services? Your mission is going to be the fuel that allows you to never give up even when things seem like they are not going to work out. Have faith in the vision that God gave you to start this business!
4. Keep it clean and free of clutter. Remember clutter is a time, money and stress killer! Create a system in your home office to keep it clutter free. A mentor of mine taught me a rule called, "touch it once and make a decision." Which means when your mail or supplies come in don't set them off to the side and say you're going to get back to it later. Make a decision in that moment to either, file it or shred it. There is a book called, "File...Don't Pile: A proven filing system for personal and professional use" by Pat Dorff if you need more help in that area. Don't over look this. We are way more creative in a clean and organized space than we are when it's cluttered and disorganized!
5. GET TO WORK! Start creating your products, books, programs and services! There are people LITERALLY waiting for you to start your business and PAY you for what you LOVE to do!
Below are some photo's for inspiration and ideas! If you have a business I want to hear from you. Let me know how organization plays a role in your business. Send me photo's to post here on my blog!